Selangor Journal

10 years on: Until when Sandakan to stay in the dark?

BY ERMIZI MUHAMAD
KUALA LUMPUR, NOV 9: The Federal Government is deemed to have failed to solve the cause of recurring blackouts in Sandakan for over 10 years.
Sandakan Member of Parliament (MP) Stephen Wong Tien Fatt said that although there have been multiple initiatives and Putrajaya promised to resolve the crisis, till now, there is still no commitment to solve it.
“It is crucial for the minister to pay serious attention as almost everyday Sandakan faces electricity disruptions.
“The same thing happens not only in these past few years, but they have failed to resolve this issue for over the past 10 years.
“The minister gives his word, and answers to Parliament (to resolve this issue) but unfortunately they still fail.
“How long will it be before these disturbances will end?” he said at the Dewan Rakyat on November 9.
 
He has previously asked the Energy, Green technology and Water Minister Datuk Seri Maximus Ongkili to reveal the cause of the power disruptions which often occur in Sandakan city area.
Batu Sap Barisan Nasional MP Datuk Linda Tsen Thau Lin also raised the question regarding on-going initiatives of the Federal Government to address the problem.
Meanwhile, Ongkili responded that a special committee (task force) had been formed in advance to ensure that the problem can be resolve in the near future.
In the same development, he revealed that RM300 million had been allocated and an audit had been performed, so that the programme and KPI are implemented according to schedule.
Tenaga Nasional Berhad dan Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd (SESB) are fully responsible in fixing and to ensuring that electricity supply is channelled effectively to the people of Sandakan.

Top Picks

BN appeals for Parliament session to be held immediately

Ringgit lower vs US dollar on surging US bond yields

Two police reports lodged regarding sale of vaccines online