Photo taken from My News HubBy Selangor Journal Staff
ALOR SETAR: It was confirmed by the Health Ministry that laksa food poisoning caused by a particular stall in Kupang, Baling has risen to a shocking 19 cases, bringing the death toll to 2 so far.
Kedah Health Director Dr Norhizan Ismail said that there were nine cases with two deaths were reported in Perak and 10 cases in Kedah.
They were notified by Gerik Hospital on Saturday in regards to two cases of food poisoning with one death and subsequent investigation found seven more cases from one family whose members suffered from fever, diarrhoea and vomiting.
“They were reported to have eaten the laksa at 9.30pm on Oct 4. It was bought by the father of the dead person at a stall in Kupang, Baling, at 5.30pm on the same day,” he said in a statement.
Norhizan said that two more cases of food poisoning were admitted to the Gerik Hospital on Sunday after eating laksa bought from the same stall on a few days prior.
One of these patients was referred to the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital in Ipoh but died at 2.31pm on Sunday.
He said 10 cases of food poisoning related to the laksa bought from the same stall were reported by the Baling District Health office and the victims were treated at the Baling Hospital.
“Investigations are ongoing by the District Health Office of the Kedah Health Department and the Perak Health Department to identify the food poisoning cases resulting from consumption of the same food,” he said.
The Kedah Health Department conducted an examination and ordered the temporary closure of the stall to assist in the investigation to determine the cause of the deaths, he said.
He also said that several clinical and food samples had been taken for laboratory tests.
Laksa is a spicy noodle soup popular in Peranakan cuisine. It consists of rice noodles with prawn or fish, served in spicy soup based on either rich and spicy curry coconut milk or on sour asam.
If our laksa was poisonous, we would’ve died first
Meanwhile, stall owner Daud Ismail, 51, said that they would’ve died first if their laksa was truly poisonous as accused by many.
Convinced that his laksa is no way contaminated Daud defended himself saying that himself and his family members would’ve tried it first after it was prepared diligently.
“If its poisonous, me and my family would’ve died. We have been running the business for 15 years. Its just that it was only three years since we opened the stall in front of our house,” he told NSTP.
He said he was only aware of the food poisoning cases related to his stall after Baling Health Department had conducted inspections at his stall. They took samples of laksa, gravy and vegetables that was used.
Daud said he became restless after discovering that there were deaths in relating to the food poisoning cases. He hoped the authorities can probe the matter thoroughly and fairly