By Ida Nadirah Ibrahim
SUBANG JAYA, March 25 — The movement control order that was enforced on March 18 has been extended to April 14, says Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
In a special broadcast, Muhyiddin said the decision on the extension is to ensure that the number of new Covid-19 infection reduces significantly.
He had also urged the public to be mentally and physically prepared “to stay at home for a reasonably longer period of time.”
“Please stay calm and don’t panic. Even though we have extended the movement control order, you don’t have to unnecessarily stock up on food because the supply is sufficient. I assure you that food is enough for everybody.
“I know you feel burdened but I don’t have a choice. I have to extend the movement control order for your own safety,” he said in the special address.
Muhyiddin said the order will be reviewed from time to time, as to whether it requires a further extension in the future.
“I will make an announcement on it. What is most important is that everyone should be prepared to stay at home for a longer period of time,” said Muhyiddin.
Muhyiddin said following a briefing with the National Security Council, the number of new positive Covid-19 cases would increase further and multiply as seen in other countries if necessary measures are not taken.
He said though the initial two-week order, which was scheduled to end on March 31, had contributed in containing the virus outbreak, further action has to be taken until there is zero number of new cases recorded.
“At the moment, there are still new cases recorded and in the past few days, there had been a constant increase,” he said.
Muhyiddin had also commended those who had adjusted to the situation by staying at home during this trying times by keeping themselves occupied with activities at home, such as working out at home, trying out new recipes, and communicating with friends and family via video calls.
“When going gets tough, only the tough gets going,” he said.
As of noon today, a total of 172 new positive Covid-19 cases was reported, bringing the total number of positive cases in Malaysia to 1,796.
Muhyiddin said the death toll had also risen to 17, which had included a medical doctor.