Selangor Journal
Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah after a press briefing on the latest Covid-19 update at the Health Ministry in Putrajaya, on April 12, 2020. — Picture by BERNAMA

No deaths in two days, 88 recoveries, 68 new cases

PUTRAJAYA, May 8 — There have not been any Covid-19 related fatalities reported in the country for two consecutive days, with the death toll remaining at 107 cases, Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said.

However, there were 68 new cases reported overnight, a slight rise compared to the day before, with 57 of them involving non-Malaysians, he said.

“This brings the tally in Malaysia to 6,535 cases, with the total number of infectivity cases at 1,564 cases. They have been isolated and given treatment,” he said at the daily Covid-19 media briefing here today.

Also, another 88 patients have fully recovered and were discharged today, he added.

“As such, the total number of recovery and discharged cases stands at 4,864 patients or 74.43 percent of case tally,” he said.

Dr Noor Hisham said to date, 18 Covid-19 cases are being treated in the Intensive Care Unit and from those, seven required ventilators.

Meanwhile, he said a new cluster had been identified at a factory in Pedas, Negeri Sembilan, comprising 60 new cases that involve 53 foreigners and seven Malaysians

“As notified on May 2, the Health Ministry detected a new cluster involving workers from a factory in Pedas, Negeri Sembilan.

“The cluster was first identified after one worker there became ill and showed symptoms such as fever, cough, cold and breathing difficulties since April 5,” he said.

Following this, investigations and contact tracing were done and until today, 786 individuals, comprising colleagues and family members have been screened, he added.

“Of these, 60 tested positive, 286 of them were free of the virus, and 440 more are awaiting results. The source of infection for this cluster is under investigation.

“The positive cases from this cluster involve seven Malaysians and 53 foreigners comprising 25 from Nepal, Bangladesh (18); Indonesia (eight) and two from Myanmar,” he said.

Meanwhile, Dr Noor Hisham reminded employers of economic sectors allowed to operate to adhere to the standard operating procedures set.

He said employers must allow and pay for workers to undergo health checks by registered medical practitioners, as stipulated by Section 60F of the Employment Act as well as allow their workers to take paid medical leave or seek treatment if they show symptoms.

They are also advised to take preventive measures such as temperature and symptom checks before entering the work premises and to ensure handwashing facilities and sanitisers are made available.

— Bernama

Top Picks

BPR appeal period starts June 15

Pahang forestry dept proposes Chini forest reserve be gazetted as protected forest

Total lockdown SOP to be reviewed if daily infections drop to below 4,000