Selangor Journal
Malaysian General Operations Force (GOF) 7th Battalion members guarding the borders of Malaysia with Thailand near Jeram Perdah in Pasir Mas, Kelantan during “Op Benteng” on July 13, 2020. — Picture by BERNAMA

National Task Force should be maintained post-Covid-19

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 23 — The National Task Force (NTF) has been successful in preventing illegal entry by foreigners in its Op Benteng operations and should be maintained even after the Covid-19 pandemic has ended, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

He said judging from frequent reports on arrests of illegal immigrants under Op Benteng, it was obvious that NTF had been doing a good job.

“If the Covid-19 cases drop in future, the Defence Ministry will hold discussions with the top brass of NTF to decide whether to maintain the NTF or otherwise.

“My personal view is that NTF should be continued because we cannot allow our borders to be breached (at any time), not only during Covid-19,” he told a press conference on developments on the movement control order (MCO) here yesterday.

Ismail Sabri said cross-border crimes could occur at any time and aggressive efforts were needed to combat the menace.

Bernama had reported Chief of Defence Force Gen Tan Sri Affendi Buang as saying that the NTF had proven its effectiveness in checking illegal entry during the Covid-19 period.

— Bernama

 

 

Top Picks

Selangor to see inclement weather until 9pm — MetMalaysia

Editor Selangor Journal

South Korea to ease regulations to boost foreign investment

Editor Selangor Journal

Agong grants audience to UAE Land Forces Commander in Abu Dhabi

Editor Selangor Journal