KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 14 — The government today agreed to allow self-service laundries in areas under movement control order (MCO) to operate from 6am to 8pm.
Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob, however said operators of such laundry outlets have to ensure customers comply with all standard operating procedures (SOP) as a measure to curb the spread of Covid-19.
“Self-service laundry shops are allowed to operate on the condition that there must be an employee present to monitor SOP compliance.
“Among them are screening body temperature of customers before entering, scanning MySejahtera QR code, wearing face mask, providing hand sanitizer and ensuring physical distancing,” he told a media conference on the development of MCO at the Ministry of Defence today.
Ismail Sabri said the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry (KPDNHEP) would be monitoring adherence to SOP at such dhobi shops.
The government had earlier allowed laundry shops to operate in MCO areas except self-service laundries as there was no monitoring at the premises.
MCO was enforced in six states namely Penang, Selangor, Federal Territories (Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Labuan), Melaka, Johor and Sabah from January 13 to 26.
In this regard, Ismail Sabri reminded members of the public not to be duped by viral fake news that the people can return to their hometowns up to January 15 when the ban on interstate travel began yesterday (January 13).
“What I said earlier was that those who are in the village and had bought tickets to return to their workplace would be given relaxation for cross state travel up to January 15 with police approval,” he said.
He said the people are advised to be careful before disseminating any content which is doubtful and should check the authenticity of the information.
Ismail Sabri said up to today, 275 investigation papers were opened by police and the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission on fake news relating to Covid-19.
He said so far, the total number of visitors to Sebenarnya.my portal has surpassed 238 million.
Meanwhile, he said the conditional movement control order in Seremban, 12 sub-districts in southwest district and 13 sub-districts of northeast district in Penang as well as Batu Pahat and Johor Bahru which is schedule to end today would instead come under MCO from January 13 to 26.
The Kluang Prison which was under enhanced movement control order (EMCO) ended today and would come under MCO as implemented in Johor.
Another area in Johor which EMCO ended today and would come under MCO is Dewan Arena Segitiga, Lot 19094, Taman Desa Sejahtera in Kota Tinggi sub-district, he said.
Ismail Sabri said the EMCO at the Kejora Juara workers’ hostel in Bukit Pasir, Muar as well as the workers’ hostel in Westlite 1 and Westlite 2 in Senai, Johor, which is scheduled to end on Friday (January 15) has been extended from January 16 to 29.
On SOP violations, he said 389 individuals were arrested yesterday and from the total, 371 were issued compounds while eight were remanded.
On Op Benteng, 138 illegal immigrants and six skippers were arrested while a boat and 13 vehicles were seized, he said.