Selangor Journal
Mohd Kamal Zaman Isa, 45, standing on his boat and rowing his two children Muhammad Izzat, 8, (right) dan Muhammad Hanif, 6, in the vicinity of his home which has been submerged in flood in Kampung Bukit Tadok, Kuala Telemong, Hulu Terengganu, on November 26, 2020. — Picture by BERNAMA

Total flood victims still above 40,000 this evening

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 9 — There are more than 40,00 flood victims involving five states with Pahang getting slightly more evacuees this evening.

As at 4 pm, 41,216 people are still seeking shelter at relief centres in Pahang, Terengganu, Kelantan, Johor and Perak compared to 43,791 victims this morning.

IN PAHANG, Temerloh remained the most badly affected district in the state with 11,871 victims from 3,227 families housed in 88 relief centres in the area.

Social Welfare Department (JKM) Info Portal reported that there were 3,532 flood victims in Maran, Lipis (2,330), Pekan (2,090), Raub (1,836), Jerantut (1,630), Bera (1,442), Kuantan (1,129) and Rompin (636 orang).

Meanwhile, Phase 1 East Coast Expressway concessionaire, ANIH Berhad in a statement said Km 126.3 between Chenor junction and Temerloh is still closed to traffic since 2.30am yesterday, due to flood.

infobanjir.water.gov.my portal reported that the level of Sungai Pahang at five locations was still above the danger level and they were at Lubuk Pasu, Temerloh; Lubuk Paku, Maran; Sungai Yap, Jerantut and two sections in Pekan namely Kuala Sungai Chini and Serambi, as well as Sungai Jelai in Lipis.

IN TERENGGANU, the number of victims has dropped to 10, 439 people in 53 temporary evacuation centres (PPS) as at 3pm this evening compared to 11,804 people at 8 am this morning.

State Disaster Management Committee secretariat head Lt Colonel (PA) Che Adam A Rahman said Kemaman was still having highest number of victims with 8,153 people followed by Dungun (2,198) and Hulu Terengganu (88).

“Residents have to be alert as a category three strong wind and rough sea warning had been issued until January 13. During the period there maybe occurrence of sea water overflow especially during high tide starting tomorrow until January 12,” he said.

Apart from that the Drainage and Irrigation Department (DID) reported that two rivers in two districts are still above the danger level which was Sungai Kemaman at the Paya Paman Pump House at 5.53 metre (m) (danger level 4m) and Sungai Dungun at Jerangau Bridge at 12.84 m (danger level 12.5 m).

IN KELANTAN, the number of evacuees in three districts fell to 3,697 people as at 3pm compared to 4,633 people this morning with 45 relief centres activated.

Based on JKM Disaster Info application, the relief centres in the districts of Gua Musang, Jeli and Kota Bharu which were opened this morning had been completely closed except in Kuala Krai which were still housing victims involving 1,744 people, followed by Pasir Mas (1,577) and Tanah Merah (376).

The infobanjir.water.gov.my portal at 3pm announced the water levels of three rivers in Kelantan which were above the danger level were Sungai Kelantan at Kusial Tanah Merah at 16.65 m, Sungai Kelantan at Customs Jetty (5.04 m), Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang (10.36 m) and Sungai Golok in Kuala Jambu (2.91 m).

IN JOHOR, the situation was improving as the number of victims at relief centres dropped sharply to 485 people from 129 families as at 4pm this evening compared to 1,207 victims from 305 families this morning.

Johor Environment and Health Committee chairman, R.Vidyananthan said following the reduction of evacuees, the relief centre in Kota Tinggi at Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Semangar was closed at 1 pm followed by the last evacuation centres in Johor Bahru and Kluang districts at Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Cina Kuo Kuang, SK Kahang Batu 28 and Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Kahang were closed at about 2pm.

He said following the closing of the relief centres, only evacuation centres at Kota Tinggi, Mersing and Segamat at nine places were still in operation .

According to him, there were two relief centres in Segamat still in operation housing 89 people from 24 families, Mersing (five PPS with 320 people from 85 families) and Kota Tinggi (two PPS involving 76 people from 20 families).

“Two roads, Jalan Haji Suhud in Johor Bahru and Jalan Tanah Abang in Mersing are still closed to all traffic,” he said in a statement.

IN PERAK, the situation has improved as there were only 99 victims at two PPS as at 2pm compared to 131 people in the morning.

A State Disaster Management Committee secretariat spokesman said 83 flood victims in Hilir Perak were still seeking shelter at Teluk Intan Municipal Council Hall while 16 more victims in Hulu Perak were housed at Kampung Perah community hall in Gerik.

Meanwhile, the relief centre at Kampung Tanjung Aur community hall, Bota which was opened on Thursday was closed at 1pm after flood receded and evacuees were allowed to return home.

A check on the infobanjir.water.gov.my portal, showed the water levels of Sungai Perak in Kuala Kenderong and Tasik Temenggor in Hulu Perak as well as Kampung Gajah in Central Perak were now at the warning level after recording readings of 112.45 m, 247.19 m and 6.67 m respectively.

— Bernama

Top Picks

Brunei adjusts Covid-19 control measures amid slight decline in cases in 9 weeks

Editor Selangor Journal

Goal-shy Uruguay need a repeat of infamous 2010 win over Ghana

Editor Selangor Journal

Casemiro magic sends Brazil through as Vini shines

Editor Selangor Journal