KUALA LUMPUR, May 26 — Interstate travel clusters continue to increase throughout April and May, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
Ismail Sabri said within the period, 19 interstate travel clusters were detected from a total of 50 interstate travel clusters recorded since early this year involving 6,291 cases.
“In terms of the number of clusters, as of May 20, the Health Ministry (MOH) has logged a total of 1,966 clusters since the pandemic hit our country of which 528 are active clusters while another 1,438 clusters have ended,” he said in a statement on the movement control order (MCO) today.
Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said several areas including sub-districts, apartments, housing estates and villages in Perak, Kuala Lumpur, Pahang and Sabah would be placed under the enhanced movement control order (EMCO) from May 28 to June 10.
He said in Perak, the Parit Buntar sub-district in Kerian would be placed under the EMCO as the locality had recorded 82 positive Covid-19 cases with a positivity rate of 13.1 per cent, while in Kuala Lumpur, the EMCO would involve Permai Apartment (all blocks) and the C and D blocks of the Sri Penara Apartment in Cheras following a surge in Covid-19 cases in the localities.
“A total of 78 positive cases were detected as a result of 101 screening tests conducted at the Permai Apartment, while at the Sri Penara Apartment, 111 positive Covid-19 cases were recorded out of 123 residents screened,” he said.
Meanwhile, in Pahang, Ismail Sabri said the EMCO would be enforced in two localities in Raub namely Taman Dato’ Tengku Paris and Felda Tersang 1, 2 & 3 located in the Batu Talam sub-district as well as Perak and Bangau sub-districts in Temerloh.
He said in Sabah, four villages in the Kunak district namely Kampung Kabog, Kampung Kabog Baru, Kampung Kunak Darat and Kampung Kunak 3, would also be placed under the EMCO, as well as three localities in Tawau (Kampung Sungai Pukul in Pulau Sebatik, Taman Desa Ranggu and Taman Sawit Balung) and Kampung Pirasan Ulu in Kota Belud.
“The implementation of the EMCO is to prevent movement and prevent the spread of the Covid-19 infection from these areas. The standard operating procedures (SOP) for all areas under EMCO is as previously announced,” he said.
Meanwhile, Ismail Sabri said the EMCO enforced at the low-cost public housing in Pelagat 3 located in Besut, Terengganu which was scheduled to end tomorrow would be extended until June 4 due to the spread of new cases among the residents with 42 individuals tested positive for Covid-19, while the EMCO at the Sungai Batu mining workers’ quarters in Batu Talam, Raub in Pahang would be terminated as scheduled.
“To date, the MOH has conducted 51 screening tests of which 21 tested positive for Covid-19. The ministry also confirmed the cases are showing a declining trend and the cluster is under control while all positive cases have received treatment,” he said.
On the SOP monitoring operations, Ismail Sabri said a total of 628 individuals were arrested for flouting the SOP yesterday of which 609 were compounded and 19 remanded.
Among the offences were not wearing face masks (162 cases), failure to record personal details or register at the entrance of premises (158), non -compliance with movement control restrictions (80), interstate or inter-district travels without permission (61), not adopting physical distancing (47) and other (120).