Selangor Journal
Menteri Besar Dato’ Seri Amirudin Shari handing over the Bantuan Selangor Bangkit cash aid to flood victims at Balai Penghulu Mukim Batu in Gombak, on December 30, 2021. — Picture by HAFIZ OTHMAN/SELANGORKINI.

MB: Nearly RM20 mln spent on almost 20,000 families for flood aid

By Siti Rohaizah Zainal

SHAH ALAM, Jan 7 — Approximately RM19.2 million has been used by the state government to lighten the burden of flood victims, through the Bantuan Selangor Bangkit (BSB) initiative as of yesterday, said Menteri Besar Dato’ Seri Amirudin Shari.

He said the initiative has benefited around 19,182 families, who each received RM1,000 in aid while six families of flood victims who perished in the disaster each received RM10,000.

“This aid was provided to flood victims who moved to temporary relief centres, chose to stay at other locations, or moved in with family members.

“Applications have been opened until January 31, and will be accepted at Land and District office, community service centres, or the responsible Village Community Management Councils,” Amirudin said at a press conference on the latest post-flood update, in the Selangor Economic Action Council (MTES) meeting room at the Selangor State Secretariat Building earlier today.

He added that volunteers have begun moving from home to home of the flood victims starting this weekend, seeking families that have yet to register for the aid.

“So far six next-of-kin have been given contributions and today there are several names, as well as lists which have been updated from time to time. This evening there will be additional aid handovers, with the number of beneficiaries increasing.

On December 21 last year, the state government allocated RM100 million in funds under the Bantuan Selangor Bangkit initiative, due to the recent heavy floods caused by heavy continuous rain from December 17 to December 19.

Apart from infrastructural recovery, the initiative also covers RM10,000 cash aid to the families of flood victims who perished in the incident. RM1,000 cash aid will also be provided to the heads of flood victims’ families, to help them restore their homes and cover damages.

Individuals who qualify for the aid include three categories; flood victims who were moved to temporary relief centres, those who moved to private locations, as well as those who chose to remain with their homes.

The aid began distribution on December 28, and is expected to be completed by the end of the month.

 

Top Picks

Lembah Jaya rep offers to pay Selangor FC fine

Editor Selangor Journal

Selangor FC mull action after MFL fine

Act 672 to be signed by year’s end, heavier penalties against illegal waste — Exco