By Norrasyidah Arshad
SHAH ALAM, Jan 25 — Approximately 12,461 families affected by the recent floods in Petaling district in December last year have received RM1,000 in aid each under the Bantuan Selangor Bangkit (BSB) programme, as of yesterday.
Petaling district officer Datuk Johary Anuar said the contribution involves a RM12.461 million allocation provided by the state government.
“In the near future, up to 1,300 victims will receive aid, which will require another RM3.5 million to be distributed.
“The total number of recipients has yet to be determined, as the BSB application remains open until January 31,” he told SelangorKini today.
As of 10am yesterday, approximately 46,147 flood-affected families received aid amounting to RM46.267 million, including RM120,000 which was given to the next-of-kin of 12 individuals who perished in the floods.
On December 21 last year, the state government announced a RM100 million fund to kickstart the Selangor Bangkit programme, to address the flooding and its aftermath.
In addition to infrastructural repairs, the allocation also covers RM10,000 in aid to the families of victims who perished in the floods, and RM1,000 in aid to the heads of affected households, so they can restore their respective homes.
Those who qualify for assistance include three categories, which are victims who were evacuated to temporary relief centres, those who were evacuated to private centres, and those who chose to remain with their homes.