Selangor Journal
State executive councillor for rural development Borhan Aman Shah, state executive councillor for housing Rodziah Ismail, and Selangor State Secretary Datuk Haris Kasim with the Misi Selangor Penyayang (MSP) 2.0 relief mission and flood victims at Surau An-Nur Taman Mesra Kupang in Baling, Kedah, on July 21, 2022. — Picture by REMY ARIFIN/SELANGORKINI

State govt ready to provide further aid for Baling flood victims, including zakat

By Siti Rohaizah Zainal

BALING, July 21 — The Selangor government is ready to provide other forms of assistance required by the flood victims in Baling, especially for those who lost their homes in the disaster.

State executive councillor for rural development Borhan Aman Shah said proposals on the matter will be brought up in the next State Executive Council Meeting (MMKN)

“I am informed that several parties have expressed interest in helping, including the Selangor Zakat Board. As such, we will bring this up and discuss the issue of what other forms of assistance can be provided to the flood victims.

“During a briefing earlier this morning, the Baling District and Land Office stated that 17 homes were identified as having been destroyed in the floods,” he said.

Borhan was speaking at the Misi Selangor Penyayang (MSP) 2.0 relief mission’s handover ceremony to 163 flood-affected residents at Surau An-Nur Taman Mesra Kupang in Baling, Kedah, earlier today.

Also in attendance to present the aid was state executive councillor for housing Rodziah Ismail.

Approximately 72 flood victims’ homes were cleaned by the mission’s volunteer team in the past two days.

MSP 2.0 saw 150 members of the Special Action Squad (Pantas) from Selangor’s 12 local authorities participate, alongside members of Selangor Volunteers and Team Selangor.

On July 6, MSP 1.0 saw 262 local authority members and volunteers head to Baling to aid in cleaning up dozens of flood victims’ homes, with some 90 tonnes of bulk rubbish removed from the area.

Continuous heavy rain for almost three hours in Baling on July 4 resulted in Sungai Kupang’s water level overflowing into the homes of nearby residents.

Three members of a family, including a pregnant woman, perished after being swept away by the currents.

Flood victims receiving the basic necessities contributed by the Team Selangor volunteers during the Misi Selangor Penyayang (MSP) 2.0 relief mission to aid flood victims, at Surau An-Nur Taman Mesra Kupang in Baling, Kedah, on July 21, 2022. — Picture by REMY ARIFIN/SELANGORKINI

Top Picks

MB meets Malaysian Ambassador to Germany, discuss drawing investments to Selangor

Editor Selangor Journal

Selangor Sultan consents to cancellation of Navy’s 90th anniversary celebration

Editor Selangor Journal

Selangor spends RM2.4 mln to alleviate 700 disabled families’ burdens last year