SHAH ALAM, July 22 — The mobile phone belonging to Zalina Shaharah Azman, 58, a former newsreader at a television station, was turned off on November 20 last year, said Shah Alam district police chief ACP Mohd Iqbal Ibrahim.
He said that based on the investigation police believed that Zalina, 58, might have disappeared earlier than November 29, the date that she was reported missing.
“We would not know that she had gone missing if her son did not try to contact her,” Mohd Iqbal told Bernama during a visit to Zalina’s house with the Malaysian National News Agency (Bernama) chairman Senator Datuk Ras Adiba Radzi.
“Zalina may have gone missing earlier…we checked and found that on November 20 her phone was turned off (no record of outgoing or incoming calls), whether it was because the battery had run out, we are not sure,” he said.
According to Mohd Iqbal, Zalina’s house was found to be messy because it was under renovation to be converted into a gallery.
Earlier, in a statement, he said police were looking for the workers involved in the renovation project to assist in the investigation.
Mohd Iqbal said police have called in six individuals to record their statements since she was reported missing.
Previously, he said police believed that the television personality was still in the country as there was no record of her leaving the country.
The police received a missing person report involving Zalina from her son Mikhael Norman, 33, on November 29 last year after he failed to get in touch with Zalina since November 24 to inform her that her father had been admitted to the hospital.