By Siti Rohaizah Zainal
SHAH ALAM, Sept 28 — A total of 1,700 personnel from the Selangor Fire Rescue Department (Bomba) including volunteers are ready to be deployed during the northeast monsoon season or high tide phenomenon.
Its deputy operations director Hafisham Mohd Noor said they have prepared for rescue operations and done immediate repair on broken equipment as well as assets.
“Selangor Bomba are always ready to ensure previous incidents do not repeat itself and have contacted other states to get assistance if needed.
“During last year’s flood, we received manpower and logistic assistance from Perak, Pahang, Kedah, Johor and Negeri Sembilan,” he said.
He said this when met during the state disaster simulation programme at Dewan Jubli Perak, at the Selangor State Secretariat Building here today.
Hafisham also suggested that each individual prepare a grab-and-go bag filled with essential items in preparation for floods.
He said the grab bag should contain clothes, food and a power bank, which can last for at least two days.
“We need to educate the people to be prepared in case of disasters by preparing a grab bag filled with essential items. Aside from clothes, they can also fill it with food, torch light and a power bank.
“Each individual needs to have their own grab bag, including children who can have a small bag that they can carry on their own. As for toddlers or infants, parents can include their essential items inside the same bag that they carry,” he said.
Previously, National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma) reported that eight of Selangor’s nine districts are identified as flood hotspots.
The Department of Irrigation and Drainage stated the districts include Klang, Petaling, Gombak, Hulu Langat, Sepang, Kuala Langat, Sabak Bernam, and Kuala Selangor. Only Hulu Selangor is not listed as a flood hotspot.