By Mustakim Ramli
HULU SELANGOR, Sept 23 — The state government has allocated RM5.1 million to restore the external infrastructure of the Kampung Koskan expansion project, after two decades of abandonment.
State executive councillor for housing and urban welfare Rodziah Ismail said the works are being managed by the Selangor Housing and Property Board (LPHS), utilising the Abandoned Project Restoration Fund (Tabung Pemulihan Projek Terbengkalai).
“The efforts to construct off-site infrastructural facilities for the project involve soil work, soil retaining structures, roadworks, drainage work, sewerage reticulation, and electrical works, among others.
“Work began on May 16 and is expected to be completed by November 14,” she said during a site visit to review the project’s progress in Serendah, earlier today.
Rodziah said the restoration work involves 43 single-storey bungalow units on 11.2 acres of land.
“The State Executive Council Meeting (MMKN) approved the restoration proposal on July 24, 2019, with the allocated funds channelled to the project the following year.
“But the restoration process could only be carried out this year since we had to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic and the subsequent Movement Control Order,” she said, adding the project’s progress now stands at nearly 62 per cent.
Earlier on, Menteri Besar Dato’ Seri Amirudin Shari said conditions for constructing houses will be reviewed and tightened from time to time, in order to resolve the problem of abandoned projects.
He said local authorities have also been instructed to identify a list of problematic developers, so as to complete projects on schedule.
“Starting in 2008, the state government implemented its affordable housing policy which went through a series of improvements, to protect the rights and interests of the people.
“Developers who are only interested in high-value housing projects but fail to complete its low-cost housing counterparts will not be tolerated,” Amirudin said.