Selangor Journal
Menteri Besar Dato’ Seri Amirudin Shari tabling the 2023 Selangor Budget at the Selangor State Legislative Assembly sitting, Shah Alam, on November 25, 2021. — Picture by HAFIZ OTHMAN/SELANGORKINI

MB: 2023 Selangor Budget allocates RM2.45 bln to prepare for possible recession

By Ida Nadirah Ibrahim

SHAH ALAM, Nov 25 — The 2023 Selangor Budget will continue to provide substantial support to the state economy with a total allocation of RM2.45 billion through five core strategies.

The strategies are to strengthen economic growth; nurture a united and compassionate society; education and development for future generations; sustainable and prosperous life; and efficient and responsible governance.

Menteri Besar Dato’ Seri Amirudin Shari when unveiling the state’s 2023 budget said 51 per cent of the budget or RM1.25 billion has been set aside for operating expenditure, and the remaining 49 per cent, or RM1.2 billion, has been set for development expenditure.

Of the total amount allocated to operating expenditure, RM449.74 million will be prioritised for emoluments; RM561.78 million for services and supplies; RM12.69 million for asset purchases; RM185.97 million for grants and fixed payments; and RM39.83 million for miscellaneous expenses.

In his budget speech to the Selangor State Legislative Assembly, Amirudin said the state’s revenue collection reached 112.42 per cent from the expected figure of RM2.05 billion, while opex was at 87.25 per cent (RM1.226 billion) while development expenditure at 72.72 per cent (RM818.66 million).

“As of November 24, 2022, the state’s revenue collection stood at RM2.304 billion compared to RM2.284 billion in 2021. We saw RM261.24 million surplus on the state’s finances as at November 24 this year.

“This is the third year in a row where our revenue collection has exceeded the target set early in the year,” he said when tabling the state 2023 budget, themed ‘#KitaSelangor: Boosting Progress, Strengthening Unity, Fulfilling Hope’, at the state assembly, here today.

Amirudin said for 2023, the estimated revenue is RM2 billion of which land revenue accounts for RM737.72 million or 38 per cent, property tax at RM570.51 million (29 per cent) and federal government allocation at RM214.81 million (11 per cent).

“The state budget this time also sees an estimated deficit of RM450 million, which is RM227.28 million more than the RM222.72 million deficit in last year’s budget.

“Compared to the year 2022, the deficit is higher since funding for disaster management preparation due to climate change and substantial development to fulfil the needs for a sustainable development of the state,” he said.

Top Picks

Sepang, Putrajaya hit by flash floods

Editor Selangor Journal

Tourism Selangor: New tourist bus to boost visits to Sepang by 3 to 5 pct

Editor Selangor Journal

Selangor Sultan presents letters of appointment to Selangor Royal Council

Editor Selangor Journal