By Norrasyidah Arshad
SHAH ALAM, Jan 9 — The mandatory use of face masks among food traders and eatery operators, which commenced on January 1, has received positive responses from various parties.
State executive councillor for local government Ng Sze Han said as of now, the state government did not receive any objection regarding the new directive and it was well-received by the stakeholders as the move helped to improve food safety and hygiene.
“Even the traders also think this is a good move as it not only assures cleanliness but also their safety because they have to deal with many customers,” he said during a meeting with the new villages community, yesterday.
At this moment, Ng said the state government will not be focusing on compounds because the early stages should be used to educate the traders.
“That is why the local councils were given time to ensure the traders are familiar with the new directive, similar to when we enforced the use of caps and aprons,” he said.
Previously, Menteri Besar Dato’ Seri Amirudin Shari had urged all local councils to implement the mandatory use of face masks in stages.
He stated that the implementation would increase customer confidence during the food handling process.