PUTRAJAYA, March 30 — The Ministry of Human Resources (KSM) needs to wait and check whether the number of foreign workers brought into Malaysia is sufficient before resuming the previously suspended quota applications and approval, said its minister V. Sivakumar.
He previously announced the quota application and approval for foreign workers through the Foreign Worker Employment Relaxation Plan (PKPPA) would be suspended from March 18, until a date to be announced later.
Speaking to reporters after attending the KSM Iftar event here today, Sivakumar said that although there were calls from industry players to open applications for additional quotas, many factors needed to be taken into account.
“We are giving employers the opportunity to bring in (foreign) workers…but after that we will not approve any (additional) quotas for the time being. If it really isn’t enough, another decision will be made later,” he said.
As of March 14, KSM has approved 995,396 employment quota applications for foreign workers from various sectors that are expected to be able to meet foreign labour needs by industry, including in critical sectors.
On March 27, the Federation of Malaysian Manufacturers (FMM) called for the immediate resumption of foreign worker quota applications and approval to ensure industries in need of workers have the avenue to do so to sustain their business operations and meet their order demands.