Selangor Journal
An aerial view of the flash flood that hit Bandar Bukit Raja on December 18, 2021. — Picture via X/IHSAN JUNID

Bandar Bukit Raja flash floods to be fully resolved in five years — MBDK

By Danial Dzulkifly

KLANG, May 29 — Residents of Bandar Bukit Raja can expect a complete resolution to the longstanding issue of flash floods in the area within the next five years. 

The Klang Royal City Council (MBDK) said this ambitious goal of addressing the issue is set to be achieved through the completion of major flood mitigation projects undertaken by the Federal government. 

This includes the deepening of Sungai Puloh, here, and other smaller estuaries in the area, said Deputy Mayor Mohd Zary Affendi Mohd Arif. 

Zary said the local council, state agencies and private developers will also supplement the federal project with additional short- and medium-term solutions. 

These measures include the use of retention ponds, construction of new drainage systems and increased maintenance of existing drainage and other waterways to mitigate the risk of floods.

“We hope to finally see a resolution to the issue within the next five years with the completion of the flood mitigation projects by the Federal government, which is a monumental undertaking with a significant budget.

“To support this, we have identified several solutions, including deploying pumps on major roads to prevent them from being cut off during floods and slowing the flow of water from upstream areas. 

“This will ease the water flow into Sungai Puloh, which flows directly into the sea,” he said during a flood briefing at the MBKD headquarters, here, today.

The flood briefing, organised by MBKD, was aimed at collecting data and updates on mitigation efforts from state agencies, the Shah Alam City Council (MBSA), and private developers such as SP Setia and Sime Darby, all of whom are working to resolve the frequent flash flood incidents Bandar Bukit Raja.

During the briefing, Zary explained that Klang faces a complex and multifaceted challenge in dealing with floods due to heightened development and its location downstream of major waterways in the state. 

This is particularly evident in Bandar Bukit Raja, where heavy rainfall leads to rising water levels upstream in places like Setia Alam, which falls under the jurisdiction of MBSA.

The briefing was held following the submission of a memorandum by Bandar Bukit Raja residents to the state government last week urging for a resolution to the flooding issues in their communities, particularly in Phase 1 and Phase 2 of the town.

The memorandum was submitted by Majlis Permuafakatan Penduduk Bandar Bukit Raja president Mohd Zulkifli Othman, whose organisation represents a coalition of Bandar Bukit Raja residents’ associations.

Previously, Zulkifli was reported as saying that residents have been facing flash floods in their areas since December 2021.

In response, Zary said all relevant stakeholders have taken action even prior to the memorandum being sent to the state government.

He stressed that the authorities are constantly working to resolve the issue.

“I understand their concerns but we have been working towards addressing the problem even prior to the memorandum’s submission. We are committed to resolving this issue once and for all,” he said.

Previously, it was reported that the Federal government has allocated RM11.8 billion for a total of 33 high-priority flood mitigation projects nationwide, which will be implemented starting this year.

Top Picks

Selangor civil servants must listen to people’s problems — Raja Muda

Sultan Sharafuddin to grace Rainforest World Music Festival

Gagasan Rumpun Selangor: RMS immerses in community activities

Editor Selangor Journal