Selangor Journal
Harimau Malaya star Faisal Halim seen at his first public appearance since a May 5 acid attack put him out of commission, at the Selangor FC training centre, Shah Alam, on June 13, 2024. — Picture by HAFIZ OTHMAN/SELANGORKINI

Faisal urges public to let cops probe into acid attack, avoid speculation

By Danial Dzulkifly

SHAH ALAM, June 13 — Selangor FC stalwart Mohamad Faisal Abdul Halim today made an emotional plea to the public not to speculate on last month’s acid attack against him and perpetrators behind the incident.

Instead, he urged everyone to allow space for the police to carry out a thorough investigation.

The national footballer said his only hope is that police do their best to investigate, while reiterating his desire to keep himself and his family safe.

“I only hope the police will carry out a thorough investigation on the matter,” he said at a special media conference at the Selangor FC training centre here.

At the presser, Faisal was flanked by Selangor FC board member Datuk Seri Shahril Mokhtar, Selangor FC chief sport medicine doctor Dr Muhammad Hazwan Khair, and Faisal’s lawyer Mohd Haijan Omar.

Faisal expressed his bemusement at being the target of the acid, asking whether his often approachable and polite demeanour have made him unnecessary “enemies”.

“I have alway been polite and kind to my juniors and seniors, but I often think about whether I should be more stuck-up for my own safety.

“I do not know whether I should maintain or change my character in the future, but right now, all I want is to be safe and to play football again,” he said.

When pressed by the media on the motive behind the acid attack and possible perpetrators, Haijan reiterated Faisal’s request that the public not make speculations, and instead allow the authorities to complete their probe.

“There is no need for us to speculate. We must allow the police to conduct their investigations but we will periodically ask them for updates through official means,” Haijan said.

Faisal suffered fourth-degree burns after being attacked with acid by an unknown assailant at a shopping centre in Petaling Jaya on May 5.

On May 25, Selangor FC confirmed the winger was released from a private hospital here after undergoing four surgeries due to the incident.

Top Picks

KDEBWM, UUM sign research pact to boost TVET awareness

Editor Selangor Journal

Selangor job fair on July 17 features career chances in various sectors

LRT3 project: Traffic diversions at JLN SS7/26 from Tuesday onwards