By Danial Dzulkifly
GOMBAK, Sept 22 – The Cabinet report on the Batang Kali landslide is slated to be disclosed to the public within three weeks, said Menteri Besar Dato’ Seri Amirudin Shari.
He said the report is undergoing declassification under the Official Secrets Act 1972 and the state administration is gathering feedback from legal advisers.
“The Works Minister (Datuk Seri Alexander Nanta Linggi) personally informed me that after hearing the state government’s and JKR’s (Public Works Department) explanations, the Cabinet has given its approval for the report’s release.
“From the state’s perspective, we have no reservations about sharing the report with the public. The only step left is declassification, which shouldn’t exceed three weeks.
“Once that’s done, we’ll publish it online,” he said during a press conference at the official handover ceremony of the completed upgrading project of Jalan B23, Jalan Sungai Tua and the Kampung Bendahara Sungai Tua junction here today.
Amirudin said the report would be discussed at the state executive council meeting scheduled in a fortnight.
“Given that there’s no executive council meeting next week, it’s probable we’ll address the report the following week,” he said.
The deadly landslide at Father’s Organic Farm in Batang Kali on December 16 last year was said to have been Malaysia’s second-worst disaster in terms of fatalities, after the Highland Towers condominium collapse in 1993 claimed 48 lives.
The 2022 incident, which was due to high soil saturation and pressure from the accumulation of underground water beneath the campsite, involved 92 victims, of which 30 were tragically killed.