Selangor Journal

No further action on para-swimming coach’s sexual harassment case — MSN

KUALA LUMPUR, March 31 — The National Sports Council (MSN) has decided not to take further action over the allegations of sexual harassment involving a para swimming coach towards an athlete under his care, as previously reported in the media.

In a statement today, it said the case has been classified as ‘No Further Action’ (NFA) following the police investigation which did not find evidence to support the allegations.

MSN, via the Misconduct and Protection in Sports Committee (JSPS), has also conducted a thorough investigation, including interviewing various relevant parties.

“Based on the findings of the investigation, MSN, through the recommendations provided by JSPS, also found no basis or witnesses to support the allegations of misconduct,” it said.

Therefore, MSN has decided to reinstate the coach to train national para swimmers preparing for the upcoming 2024 Paris Paralympic Games.

Simultaneously, it has given its guarantee of ensuring a safe environment for all parties involved in its training programmes and does not take any misconduct allegations lightly.

“MSN also has comprehensive and transparent complaint and investigation procedures, including prioritising the protection of privacy and confidentiality of all parties involved in any investigation conducted.

“In this regard, MSN hopes all parties, including the media, understand the para-athletes’s mental and physical well-being always remains a priority,” said the council.

In February, the Malaysian Paralympic Council (MPM) confirmed a para-swimming coach was being investigated for sexually harassing an underaged para-athlete.

According to media reports, MPM president Datuk Seri Megat D. Shahriman Zaharudin said the governing body had lodged a police report after receiving an email regarding the matter from the Malaysian Paralympic Swimming Association (MPSA).

— Bernama

Top Picks

Selangor FC trounce Negeri Sembilan in FA Cup first round

Traffic slow on several major highways ahead of Aidiladha

Princess Kate makes first appearance since cancer diagnosis