ALOR SETAR, Sept 22 — Authorities have evacuated 102 people from 33 families in Baling to two temporary relief centres after their homes were inundated in flash floods after heavy rain last night.
Kedah Civil Defence Force disaster management secretariat head Muhammad Suhaimi Mohd Zain said the two relief centres were at Masjid Islahiyah Tawar and Masjid Binjul Luar.
“The relief centre at Masjid Islahiyah Tawar was opened at 11pm to house 91 of the victims from 31 families, while the centre at Masjid Binjul Luar was opened at midnight last night and now houses 11 other victims from two families,” he said in a statement today.
He said the heavy downpour, which began yesterday afternoon, caused the Ketil river to overflow and flood Kampung Padang Empang and Kampung Iboi.
He said the river’s level at 8pm showed it had surpassed the danger mark of 36.19 metres.
“All victims are safe and the flood situation is being monitored by agencies. No casualties reported so far,” he said.