Selangor Journal
Deputy Foreign Minister Datuk Mohamad Alamin (second from left) with three victims (centre left to centre right) of a Macau scam syndicate based in Peru, and rescued by the Peruvian authorities on October 7, upon their arrival home at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang, on October 26, 2023. — Picture by BERNAMA

Three Macau job scam victims in Peru return home

SEPANG, Oct 26 — Three Malaysians, victims of human trafficking by a Macau scam syndicate in Peru and rescued by the South American country’s authorities, returned home safely today.

The trio, consisting of two women and a man aged 23 and 25, arrived at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) at 1.30pm.

Deputy Foreign Minister Datuk Mohamad Alamin said the three were among the 43 Malaysians duped into working for the Macau scam syndicate and rescued by the Peruvian police on October 7.

“The rest of the victims are still in Peru and placed in a safe (house) location under the authorities’ supervision,” he said during a press conference with the three victims who arrived at KLIA today.

The Malaysian Embassy in Lima will coordinate the repatriation of 37 more victims, scheduled to arrive in Malaysia in batches on October 28, October 29, October 30, and November 1.

Peruvian authorities are still holding three more Malaysians for further investigation under domestic laws.

Mohamad said the syndicate’s modus operandi was to lure victims with lucrative job offers in hospitality, cooking, and casinos with air tickets, accommodation, and free food via social media platforms.

“Wisma Putra will redouble its efforts (with awareness campaigns) so job-seekers are more sensitive and alert. Do check thoroughly the authenticity of any job offer received, and do not be easily deceived,” he said.

Meanwhile, the deputy minister expressed his appreciation to the Peruvian authorities, the Malaysian Embassy in Peru, the Peruvian Embassy in Malaysia, and the Royal Malaysian Police for their cooperation while bringing the victims home.

On October 9, Wisma Putra said 43 Malaysian citizens, victims of human trafficking by the Macau scam syndicate, had been rescued and would be repatriated to Malaysia as soon as possible.

In a separate statement on October 10, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Razarudin Husain said all the victims, consisting of 26 women and 17 men, would be interviewed as soon as they arrived home to enable investigations to be carried out by the D3 Anti-Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling Division (Atipsom) of the Bukit Aman Criminal Investigation Department (JSJ).

— Bernama

 

Top Picks

Govt to empower small businesses to achieve entrepreneurial nation target

Ringgit breaches RM2.99 level against Japanese yen

International tribunal to present legal opinion on climate change