Selangor Journal
Negligence by contractors in the recent multi-level parking project at Rawang Keretapi Tanah Melayu (KTM) station resulted in losses of more than RM2.4 million. — Picture by BERNAMA

Contractor negligence led to crane collapse in Rawang, says Transport Minister

PUTRAJAYA, Jan 4 — Negligence by the contractor led to the Dec 12 railway track crane collapse incident in Rawang, resulting in over RM2.4 million in losses for Keretapi Tanah Melayu Bhd (KTMB), Transport Minister Anthony Loke said.

Revealing the findings of the investigation into the incident today, he said the contractor failed to ensure the work area was safe by entering a prohibited work site area that was not secure, and also slippery, causing the crane to tilt onto the track.

“This is the cause of the incident when the contractor entered the danger zone without the knowledge of the Public Works Department,” he told a press conference here today.

On December 12 last year, the Klang Valley Komuter Train and Electric Train Service (ETS) services experienced disruptions after a crane used for the construction of a multi-storey parking project of the Railway Asset Corporation (RAC) collapsed on the railway track between Rawang and Kuang at around 5.53pm.

Following the incident, Loke said KTMB faced numerous difficulties as it disrupted train operations involving over 20,000 ETS and Komuter passengers.

He said the Transport Ministry takes a serious view of the contractor’s disregard for safety in executing work, as entering restricted areas can lead to major incidents.

“I feel we were very fortunate that day as no trains were passing by the area at the time of the incident. Imagine if a train, be it a Komuter or ETS, had been passing through the area when the crane collapsed onto the track, there would have been a tragedy,” he said.

The contractor concerned had been instructed to stop work in the area until further investigation by the Land Public Transport Agency is completed, he added.

He said APAD is preparing an investigation report for action under Section 128 (1)(a) of the Land Public Transport Act before submitting it to the Attorney General’s Office for further action.

Loke also reminded contractors working in railway track construction areas to adhere to directives and not overlook safety aspects during their work.

“I want to issue an open warning to all contractors not to take safety issues lightly. They must adhere to the set conditions.

“Do not enter restricted railway areas. It’s a matter of life and death… by trying to make your work easier, you might be risking human lives. So, this is a very serious matter,” he said.

— Bernama

Top Picks

Two deputy ministers appointed Keadilan state leadership council chairmen

Sepak takraw: Malaysia’s team title drought drags on after World Cup loss to Thailand

Woman found dead at home: Case classified as sudden death