Selangor Journal

Selangor earmarks RM7 mln to give old apartments new lease of life

By Yasmin Ramlan

SHAH ALAM, Feb 20 — The state government has allocated RM7 million under the Caring Government for Residence Improvement Aid (Ceria) scheme to refurbish low-cost apartments this year.

State executive councillor for housing Borhan Aman Shah said priority will be given to those who register for assistance first.

“We already have a list of names prepared, even though some of the apartments have also previously submitted applications for repainting works under the Selangor Penyayang initiative through the help of their respective state assemblymen, and we have granted approval.

“This allows us to focus the Ceria scheme solely on other critical issues like water tank problems, leaky roofs, and issues concerning stairs and lifts,” he said.

Borhan was speaking to the press after officiating the Ownership Mechanism for State Controlled Properties seminar at the State Secretariat Building today.

The Ceria refurbishment scheme was introduced to aid in repairing shared property damages in low- and medium-cost apartments in Selangor on the condition that the joint management bodies (JMB) must be registered with the government and be in good financial standing.

To qualify for the scheme, JMBs must apply through the e-Ceria website. The relevant state agencies will then resolve the issues in stages.

If needed, the relevant parties will conduct an inspection to prioritise problematic apartments.

State executive councillor for housing Borhan Aman Shah delivers his speech during the Ownership Mechanism for State Controlled Properties seminar at the State Secretariat Building in Shah Alam, on February 20, 2024. — Picture by FIKRI YUSOF/SELANGORKINI

Stalled housing project

Commenting on the problematic Rumah Selangorku project in Morib, Kuala Langat, he clarified that the issue mainly stems from the project developer Sentoria Bhd’s change in directorship and a pending new agreement between the company and state government.

“After the new appointment, we are renegotiating with them. Currently, we are discussing this issue with the new director,” Borhan said, adding that further explanation will be provided in the upcoming State Legislative Assembly sitting.

“The previous director promised it would be completed within a year. However, since there is a new director, we need to review the agreement,” he said when asked about the project’s status.

However, the councillor assured that the state government would monitor the project’s progress to ensure it did not fall under the abandoned and sick projects category.

To date, Sentoria has paid approximately RM7 million in utility bills after a 50 per cent discount. This follows a recommendation by Menteri Besar Dato’ Seri Amirudin Shari to offer leeway to the developer.

“Therefore, I will be discussing this with the Selangor Housing and Property Board (LPHS) and call upon the developer, as well as the buyers’ representatives and ad hoc committee, to resolve this issue,” he said.

In July last year, Amirudin said the stalled Rumah Selangorku project in Morib needs to be resolved between the state and Federal governments.

The matter has also been brought to the attention of the Housing and Local Government Ministry (KPKT).

On February 5, Berita Harian reported that Sentoria had received approval from KPKT to proceed with its troubled projects.

Top Picks

Kuala Kubu Baharu by-election: Harapan candidate to be decided before April 27

Bodyguard hurt in KLIA shooting incident not supposed to be on duty — Colleague

Sultan, Tengku Permaisuri, MB wish Happy New Year to Indians