Selangor Journal
Solemnisation ceremonies for Muslim couples held at mosques and suraus in Selangor has been suspended beginning October 14, 2020, following the enforced conditional movement control order (CMCO). — Picture by YUMI PHOTOG

Jais suspends ‘akad nikah’ ceremonies held at mosques, suraus in Selangor

SHAH ALAM, June 13 — Solemnisation ceremonies for Muslim couples held at mosques and suraus in Selangor has been suspended beginning October 14, says the Selangor Islamic Religious Department (Jais).

Its director Mohd Shahzihan Ahmad in a statement today said this is in line with the enforced conditional movement control order (CMCO) in the state, announced by the Federal government yesterday.

“’Akad nikah’ (solemnisation ceremony) is only allowed to be held at the Islamic Religious District Office with the approval from Jais director.

“The ceremony can only be attended by no more than three persons,” the statement read.

Starting today, Jais had already suspended ‘akad nikah’ ceremonies to be held in the Klang district due to the enforced CMCO in the Klang sub-district on October 9.

Previously, Jais had ceased ‘akad nikah’ through video conferencing and had allowed Muslim couples in the state to conduct physical solemnisation during the recovery conditional movement control order (RCMO) beginning June 22 until the end of the year.

The event was allowed to be attended by no more than 15 people, which would consist of seven representatives from the groom’s side and eight from the bride’s side, excluding the bride, groom, the wali (custodian), and two witnesses.

The ceremony was permitted to be held at selected mosques or Islamic Religious District Offices with the permission of the marriage registrar.

Top Picks

Four free Covid-19 screenings this weekend, targets 4,000 residents

Four detained over alleged violations of Islamic law — Jais

Five more days to extinguish Kuala Langat Selatan forest fire — Fire Dept

Editor Selangor Journal