Selangor Journal

Fire Dept to continue safety inspections on homestays, accommodation centres

SEREMBAN, April 2 — The Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM) will continue focusing on the safety inspections of homestays and accommodation centres in conjunction with Hari Raya Aidilfitri to ensure the owners have fire safety measures in place.

Its director Datuk Nor Hisham Mohammad said the inspection will be carried out via the Fire Hazard Elimination (MBK) programme, which among other things, is due to the current trend of people staying at these places instead of family homes when returning home for the holidays.

“We have inspected over 4,000 premises so far, with 52 notices issued…the initial approach to inspect such places is to ensure the owners of premises have the minimum fire safety system as required by law.

“The most basic thing is to have fire extinguishers and control of house keys to make it easier for tenants to get out in the event of an emergency. So homestays and accommodation places are indeed one of our main targets to check after the case of the factory, which suffered the highest record of losses due to fire,” he said.

Hisham was speaking to the press after the 2023 Excellent Service Award Ceremony and presentation of the 30 Year Service Certificate of JBPM Negeri Sembilan and Melaka to over 100 recipients today.

He also advised the public to avoid carrying out open burning, as it would have implications, especially regarding personnel and logistics.

“These are among the concerns that people do not see; for example, when personnel are deployed to put out fires, it will take three to four hours, and during that period, we do not have protection for structural fires in the city, and we will have to ask another fire station for assistance thus causing a late response,” Hisham said.

Meanwhile, JBPM is in the approval stage of enabling its personnel to receive the facility of compensation claims through the KWKB fund (Kumpulan Wang Kebajikan Bomba) of up to a maximum of RM25,000.

It involves several categories, including flash floods, fires, and collapsed homes due to disasters. Previously, JBPM personnel were only eligible to apply for flood compensation with a maximum of RM5,000.

“Now we are in the final stages, and a decision may be made in June. This aims to protect the welfare of firefighters. In the past, disasters and typhoons were not included,” he said, adding that he hopes all JBPM officers and members will contribute to the welfare fund, unions, and firefighters’ cooperatives.

Separately, Hisham said JPBM has a shortage of about 1,300 officers and members nationwide, which is one of its constraints so far.

“However, 298 members and officers will join the department at the beginning of June…our total number of personnel is approximately 16,000, with 338 fire stations,” he said.

— Bernama

Top Picks

China’s March exports and imports shrink, miss forecasts by big margins

UN says waterborne illnesses spread in Gaza due to heat, unsafe water

UTP achieves notable progress in QS world university rankings for 2024