By Norrasyidah Arshad
SHAH ALAM, April 29 — The movement control order (MCO) enforced by the Federal government since March 18 has contributed to the decline in dengue cases in Selangor compared to the corresponding period last year.
Selangor Health, Welfare, Women Empowerment and Family Executive Committee chairman Dr Siti Mariah Mahmud said most of the people stayed at home during the MCO and were restricted to move to risk-prone areas.
“During this period, the state administration was unable to carry out the usual gotong-royong and clean-up activities.
“But even so, the number of (dengue) cases is lower compared to last year, which we hope this year would be a better year,” she told SelangorKini today.
However, Dr Siti Mariah said Selangor has recorded 25 dengue-related deaths, which sees five additional cases compared to the previous year.
According to the statistic provided by the Health Ministry’s National Crisis Preparedness and Response Centre (CPRC) earlier today, Selangor registered the highest number of dengue cases with 23,402 out of the total 39,002 cases recorded nationwide.