Selangor Journal
A student passes by the Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM) signage in Alor Gajah, Melaka, on March 17, 2020. — Picture by BERNAMA

IPTS, IPTA students to return home starting tonight

KUALA LUMPUR, April 27 — A total of 1,128 students in public and private higher learning institutions will return to their hometowns within 24 hours starting tonight, said Senior Minister (security cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.

He said 863 students would be sent home from the central zone to the north zone tonight while 265 students from the north zone to the central zone tomorrow night.

“The process would involve nine universities and 49 buses to 17 destinations.

“The buses will be sanitised three hours before heading off to the destinations. The students’ luggage will also be sanitised,” he told a daily press conference on the movement control order (MCO) here today.

He said when the students arrived at the drop-off points around 9 am tomorrow, only one family member with a vehicle is allowed to pick them up and for those without a vehicle, the frontliners would send the students directly to their homes.

Ismail Sabri said the students would be provided with food and drinks during the trip.

Meanwhile, for students from Sarawak and Sabah, he said they would return home starting May 1.

Ismail Sabri had earlier said that 85 per cent or 53,000 students had agreed to go home while the remaining 15 per cent wanted to stay back and the government would continue to provide them with food and drinks.

Yesterday, Higher Education Minister Datuk Dr Noraini Ahmad said in a statement that students who were in the green zone were allowed to return to their hometowns which were also located in the green zone.

— Bernama

Top Picks

Covid-19: Malaysia’s recoveries continue to surpass new cases — Health DG

Editor Selangor Journal

MOH sets up HQA portal for travellers to apply for home quarantine

Editor Selangor Journal

Ringgit closes lower versus US dollar ahead of US Fed meeting

Editor Selangor Journal