By Wan Faizal Ismayatim
SHAH ALAM, April 20 — Selangor has recorded seven dengue-related deaths during the movement control order (MCO) periods, which was enforced since March 18, says Dr Siti Mariah Mahmud.
The State Health, Welfare, Women Empowerment and Family Committee chairman said a total of 1,910 dengue cases were recorded from the epidemic week 12 (March 22) to the epidemic week 15 (April 12) in Selangor.
She said there is a drop of 42 per cent compared to the same period last year, which recorded 3,321 cases.
“From January to April 12 (epidemic week 15) there were 22,180 dengue cases registered and 23 fatalities in Selangor. Last year, 23,323 dengue cases were recorded over the same period but with 19 deaths. This shows a decrease of 4.9 per cent in dengue cases.
“However, the number of deaths saw an increase of 21.05 per cent in 2019. Two dengue-related fatalities were recorded in Klang and Petaling during epidemic week 15,” she said in a statement here yesterday.
Dr Siti Mariah said areas with the highest recorded dengue outbreak from January until April 12 were Petaling with 7,372 cases, Klang (4,582) and Hulu Langat (3,709).
“Sabak Bernam had recorded the lowest outbreak with 69 cases,” she said.
Dr Siti Mariah added that the state administration, through the Health Standing Committee, had increased the allocation to curb the dengue outbreak to RM5 million from the previous allocated RM3 million funds last year.