KUALA LUMPUR, June 7 — Malaysians arriving in the country from overseas will no longer be required to undergo the mandatory quarantine at quarantine centres, effective June 10, said Senior Minister (security cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob.
He said upon their arrival at the airport, they would undergo test swab and if found positive they would be sent to the hospital for treatment.
However, if the test result is negative, he said, they would have to undergo the mandatory 14-day quarantine at their home.
“They are required to download the MySejahtera application and they will be monitored through this application. They are also required to wear a wristband to facilitate the identification process.
“Their compliance with the 14-day quarantine at their respective home can also be monitored by the authorities through the MySejahtera application,” he told a daily press conference here today.
He said the decision was made by the government after considering the Covid-19 infection rate in other countries , which was now under under control with a flatten infection curve and declining trend in cases, as well as well their capability to conduct Covid-19 for international passengers at airports.
Ismail Sabri said those who defy the mandatory quarantine order and stipulated SOP would be issued compound of RM1,000 each and charged in court.
On the swab test at the airport, he said, the result could be known in one to two hours, but if they had to wait longer, like for two days, the person concerned would be sent to a quarantine centre and would have to pay the quarantine cost set by the government.
He said as of this morning, 156 quarantine centres were still in operation, from 165 the previous day, with 14,665 individuals undergoing the mandatory quarantine process.
So far, 50,873 Malaysians who returned from overseas have been quarantined since April 3.
Of the total, 40,805 individuals had completed the quarantine process and allowed to go home, he added.