BY: PAKATAN HARAPAN
SHAH ALAM, MAR 24: Pakatan Harapan has taken note of the report by The Edge that each Malaysian citizen’s income has dropped by 15% from USD10,345 in 2013 to USD8,821 in 2016, indicating that we may fail to achieve Vision 2020 which we shall reach in 3 years times.
Malaysia’s economy now clearly cannot make everyone happy especially when the gap between the rich and the poor is still wide (around 0.46 based on GINI Coefficient), where the rich get richer and the poor become poorer.
- Our stand is that, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak cannot use the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) as proof of his achievement. As comparison, even the ratio between income and GDP in Malaysia is around 26% while in Singapore it’s 49%.
- For us, as long as there are still many Malaysians who live in difficult conditions due to high cost of living and salary increment which are too small, the government is deemed to have failed in giving a better livelihood to the citizens.
- Besides that, Pakatan Harapan also feels that Najib’s administration has failed to overcome the 9 challenges of Vision 2020 as outlined by Tun Mahathir’s previous administration. The main failure is that the country is still divided due to racial discrimination.
In fact, Malaysia has failed to create a mature democracy especially transparency in the Election Commission (EC) and pressure on free media.
- This raise the question whether Transformasi Nasional 2050 (TN50), PM Najib’s brainchild can be achieved when Vision 2020 is on the verge of failure?
Pakatan Harapan has no confidence on that, even the citizens can see the contents of TN50 forums proving that Malaysia has failed to provide basic requirements to form a developed country.
- In this matter, Pakatan Harapan is concerned on the country’s direction which is not well planned. For us, citizens also play a role and there should be awareness on current affairs, as today determines the country’s fate in the coming 3, 10 and 30 years from now.
- Therefore, Pakatan Harapan will soon announce its Manifesto which will emphasize on the long-term plan for the citizens and the country.
Therefore, we call on all citizens to support our struggle themed: ‘We rebuild this nation’ by opposing all forms of corruption and abuse of power that are becoming more cancerous, for a better future for our children.
Dato’ Saifuddin Abdullah
Chief Secretary for Pakatan Harapan Secretariat
YB Dato’ Johari Abdul
People’s Justice Party
Salahuddin Hj. Ayub
Parti Amanah Negara
YB Anthony Loke Siew Fook
Democratic Action Party