The latest allegations in the third filing by the United State’s Department of Justice (DOJ) has opened a new page to the crisis affecting the nation due to the 1MDB fund misappropriation scandal.
We, as leaders and Member of Parliaments of the Malaysia Oppositions demand the Prime Minister to the government to tell the truth and attend the parliament to answer to all the allegations relating to this issue.
Therefore, we would like to reiterate the call made Malaysia’s Opposition Leader, Datuk Seri Dr. Wan Azizah Wan Ismail that the Prime Minister must call for an emergency Dewan Rakyat session as soon as possible, according to rule 11(3), Dewan Rakyat session rules.
We also demand that the Prime Minister table a white paper to clarify on all the facts relating to the misappropriation allegations and 1MDB, during this session.
These facts should anwer any doubt that the people may have due to these claims.
The statements by some ministers that all the allegations are politically motivated or foreign intervention, are not sufficient to fend off all the doubts that have been raised.
If the government do not want the public to be carried away with DOJ’s claims, then the government should clarify all the allegations by tabling an investigation report from the country’s investigative institutions through a White Paper in parliament.
We urge related agencies such as Attorney-General’s Department, MACC, BNM and PDRM to revisit the investigation papers on this. The country’s good name has been tarnished when at least 9 countries are investigating this scandal. However, there are no investigations by any of the enforcement agencies in Malaysia.
Therefore, we shall take the following steps:
- Urge the Prime Minister to hold an emergency Dewan Rakyat session as soon as possible and table a White Paper on 1MDB.
- To lodge a joint report to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
- To lodge a report to Bank Negara Malaysian (BNM) as demand for the investigation papers to be reopened.
- To hold a roadshow across the nation to give the latest update on the 1MDB fund scandal. The first roadshow will be held on July 6, 2017, at Dewan JKKK Penaga, Kepala Batas starting from 9 p.m. It will be held across the country and will be closed with the public gathering in September.
- Form a 1MDB Action Committee that will draft the opposition’s strategy and response on this 1MDB issue.
We also call on all opposition parties to put aside their differences and work together to bring the culprits in the 1MDB scandal to face justice.
According to the court’s document, the total amount of 1MDB fund that was embezzled was close to USD4.47 billion (RM19.15 billion).
Hence, the Prime Minister, the federal government and the enforcement agencies can no longer remain silent on this issue.
The focus must be to clear the country’s good name and resolve the crisis affecting the country due to the 1MDB fund misappropriation scandal.
Joint media statement by:
YB Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, Opposition Leader (KEADILAN)
YB Teresa Kok, Seputeh Member of Parliament (DAP)
YB Khalid Samad, Shah Alam Member of Parliament (AMANAH)
YB Dr Michael Jeyakumar, Sg Siput Member of Parliament (PSM)
YB Darell Leiking, Penampang Member of Parliament (WARISAN)
Dato’ Dr Rais Hussin, PPBM representative
28 Jun 2017